Pages

Pageviews from the past week

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Sometimes I don't sleep ....

Blue October is a rock band from Houston, Texas. The band was formed in 1995 and currently consists of Justin Furstenfeld (lead vocals, guitar), Jeremy Furstenfeld (drums, percussion),Ryan Delahoussaye (violin/viola, mandolin, piano, backing vocals), Matt Noveskey (bass guitar, backing vocals), and Julian Mandrake (lead guitar).


Justin Furstenfeld has battled with bipolar disorder through most of his life. He has his condition under control, saying in an interview that "I'm not a danger to myself [anymore]."


I saw Blue October in concert several years ago and was mesmerized by the experience. I have been to very many concerts, but something about how the music was presented was so powerful. I actually cried during parts of the concert. It hit a of of personal tones with me also. 


If you have ever heard of them - it was most likely their songs "Hate Me" or "Into the Ocean" both of which got quite a bit of radio play. 


I love all of their songs. A lot of my friends think that they are too depressing or "whiney" ... sometimes dealing with a mental illness, you need to let out that depression or whiney-ness. It can't stay bottled up inside of you forever. And how brave to let it out and remind other people battling the same thing that they are not alone, someone else has thought the exact same things as you, has stood at the same place you are standing and felt the same feelings. To me its reassuring... 


When I can't sleep, whether its insomnia or nightmares or just feeling down, I find that these 3 songs tend to be the ones I flip on to kind of help me zone out and try and figure out what is going on with me.




18th Floor Balcony


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiOM0R3Dh8U&feature=related
Black Orchid




Come in Closer 



Now, they do have quite a few really upbeat songs - Drop is actually one of the songs I listen to when I'm fully awake and bouncing around. But tonight these are the songs I turn to trying to get my brain to slow down a bit so I can get some sleep. 


Enjoy - or don't. Just sharing something that means a lot to me. (P hates Blue October and I still love him)

No comments:

Post a Comment