Pages

Pageviews from the past week

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Book #1



The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

March 14 2011 - Monday


  I picked this book up from the Lethbridge Public Library Main Branch this afternoon. I am currently battling the WORST cold I think that I have ever had in my entire life (25 years I could be wrong, that's a lot of colds to consider) So, I walked in the door and P was playing xbox and kinda laughed at my haggard appearance - thankfully did not make any Rudolph comments for which I would have chucked a pillow at him ... or possibly stood in front of the TV screen ;-) 
     So I grabbed a blanket and settled in next to him and opened "Augie" only to fall fast asleep approximately 10 minutes later.  Fabulous start don't you think?  I really don't think that it is Mr Bellow's fault for not having a gun-start opening chapter. 


 When I woke back up several hours later ( P just laughed and let me sleep the wonderful man) I decided I wanted to learn a bit more about Mr Saul Bellow.


 It turns out that he was actually born in Canada - in Quebec, but his birth certificate was lost in a fire. He was said to have celebrated his birthday on June 10  (also my father's birthday)
 Although he is Jewish he has been quoted as saying that he isn't a Jewish writer, but an American writer who happens to be a Jew.
He won the Noble Prize for literature in 1976.

Ok - onto Chapter 2! :-)




March 15 2011 - Tuesday


Had a really good day at work today!!! P & B came and took me for lunch!! I'm so lucky to have them around right now. Its the greatest. I had a bacon cheeseburger and had a hard time finishing my fries. Luckily, P helped me out. They had GIANT ketchup packets there!! P has a serious ketchup addiction so he was pretty excited over them.     
56rae.jpg
ketchup packets made for  P


 The boys are playing Xbox so I have been reading a couple chapters in "Augie". Still hasn't really sucked me in and I'm not seeing where the plot will eventually lead. Thus far, its just him growing up in Chicago. Only 70 pages in so I can't make much judgement yet. My mother used to always tell me I had to give a book 10 chapters before I made a judgement. At that time in my life most the books I was reading were ONLY 10 chapters. I think its how she taught me to get through a book all the way to the end before making any real decisions on it. 


     Still battling this cold unfortunately. But I'm spoiled by a great guy who brought me a bowl of snap peas and some ranch dressing to dip them in and snuggled a fuzzy blanket around me. How did I get this lucky? 


Off to read another couple chapters before bedtime...
Love D

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're feeling better soon. At least you have a book to get you through. I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was interesting. Another good one is The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak. Take care "hugs".

    ReplyDelete