Pages

Pageviews from the past week

Sunday 13 March 2011

... the music moves me ...

Have to throw in a post about some music:

One of the very first CD's I purchased with my very own babysitting money was Finger Eleven : Greyest of Blue Skies. It came out just as I was starting up high school - of course right at the time of life when so many things are influencing the kind of person that you are going to become.

  I have remained a fan of Finger Eleven since I first heard of them - so of course when I got an email from ticketmaster saying that they were coming to Calgary I managed to get tickets for P and I. 

  February 4 2011 I FINALLY was able to see them with a pleasant surprise. A new band I had only heard rumour of, opened for them. 

The Envy - Don't Let Go

  The more I listen to them, the more than I enjoy them and can tell the kind of music they have been influenced by. They seem to be pretty down to earth guys - in fact I participated in a live chat with them earlier this afternoon. 

After their set at the University of Calgary I was happy to see them posing for pictures with fans, talking about their music and basically being "normal" people.  Made me like them even more, unfortunately have had bad experiences with bands who get too large of an ego about their "fame".  


 THEN it was time for Finger Eleven to take the stage - FANTASTIC! I was excited to not only hear new songs BUT they played "I'll Keep Your Memory Vague" - the album "Them vs. You vs. Me"
 "Drag You Down" & "First Time" from my favourite "Greyest of Blue Skies"

 P had never really been a fan but during the concert he did post via his blackberry on facebook "Finger 11 actually not that bad when its a live concert =p"

So perhaps he isn't converted into a lifetime fan such as myself, but we did have a great time together! 

So, after a decade of being a Finger Eleven fan, I saw them live in the flesh!
Finger Eleven - First Time

So, you are asking, why was a a fan for a whole decade? Perhaps, was it the fact that they were new to my scene? Or maybe it was my rebel spirit knowing my parents wouldn't appreciate the heavy beats? 

Like most of the music I am drawn to, there is something I can't explain. Its something that tingles inside your soul and makes you want to move some body part in time with the thumping bass. It's the way that some of lyrics feel strangely similar to the rants and private thoughts you poor out on the pages of a notebook you keep hidden under your mattress so your nosey little sisters don't read it. 

Or maybe, I thought the lead singer was hot? ;-)
Love D 

No comments:

Post a Comment